Friday, April 1, 2011

Job Shadowing Experience

So what I did for my job shadowing day was I followed some Physical and Occupational Therapists. I went to Memorial Medical Center and I got sent up to Independence Square. It was kind of funny. I walked into the room and guess who is there. Sarah, the young lady which my mom works with who also happens to work there apparently. So I talked to her for a while. It was really quite funny that I saw them there. But then after they hunted down my physical therapist, I started to shadow her. Her name was Laura and all we really did was help one older lady who had fallen several times and had recently fallen into the bathtub in January and had had some spinal issues from that fall. It affected her right side of the body and Laura was helping her become more balanced and walk farther without a cane. Then another funny thing happened. I look up and I see Kaylee, who is an occupational therapist. This is the lady who used to work with my mom and who used to have that same position as the previously mentioned Sarah. I talked to her for a little while and then by the time that was done Laura's next patient came in. We were just sitting her down when I look up and I see Hillary and Emily. Hillary graduated from here last year and Emily is my youth pastor's wife who is an occupational therapist. So I said hi. But I had to go with Laura. This lady had tendonitis in her right arm and all we had to do were do some ultra sound on her and teach her some exercises. By the time we were done with this patient it was the time that Laura was done with her shift and then I went to lunch with previously mentioned Emily and Hillary. I think that this shadowing experience exceeded my expectation just because of the patients we saw and the people who I knew that were in the department. Every one there was really nice and insightful about the career. I do not think that I could be a physical therapist because I cannot be confined to the indoors. I have no walls in my life and I do not want one in my career. I think I learned a valuable lesson because I found out that I do not want to do this career.

No comments:

Post a Comment