Wednesday, July 7, 2010

22 Chapters Done

I am through with twenty two chapters of the first novel of my junior summer. The book that I have been reading is The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. The reason I am adding these so late is because I have been to lazy to copy them from word and paste them onto here. I am pretty pathetic.

But back to the book. I am glad that Ma has finally been relieved of her depression- ish stage of this book. It was sad to read about how sad Ma was getting as people began to die or run away from the family. She is even getting to be a happy person again thanks to Tom getting a job. It means the family can actually have some kind of money coming in even though it can't provide for them. Twenty five cents is not much now, but it was a reasonable sum in this day. This sum is not high enough of a wage and in no way can it provide for the Joads.

Chapter twenty one was pretty cool to read. It reminds me of reading my history book earlier this year in twentieth century history. We read about all of the big farmers and how many more large farms there were beginning to be and how many less small farms there were becoming. The large farmers would buy the small farmers lands. The small farmers could not provide for their families as inflation began and so they had to sell their property and many times move to town. It is sad, me coming from a small farming community in rural Iowa, to read about this kind of stuff as it did happen to my ancestors. This made it a challenge for my family to continue.

I am beginning to see now that every other chapter is beginning to be like the pieces of a puzzle. As I read more I am sure these pieces will come together and make sense to me. It is kind of like the painting style that uses the little tiny dots to create the picture. I have no clue what it is called but they are similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment