Thursday, November 18, 2010

RAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LITERAL MEANING:
One boring night while I thought of interesting legends and while I was almost falling asleep again some one came knocking on my bedroom door and said, "it is a visitor knocking on my door and nothing else.
I remember it clearly in a desolate December and each ember fell like a ghost upon the floor. I wanted it to be the next day and I wanted to take book from the bookshelves that were sad, sad about Lenore for the rare times I hear the name Lenore, which is nameless here evermore.
And the purple curtain thrilled me with terrors I never knew before so that now I was keeping on saying, "there is someone at my door."
My soul grew stronger and I finally said, "Sir or Ma'am, I was napping I am sorry. You knocked so softly and somehow I heard you" Then I opened the door and there was nothing but darkness.
I stared into the darkness for a long time thinking and fearing, doubting and dreaming dreams no man ever dared to dream before; but the silence remained and it was still. Then I whispered, "Lenore! and it echoed back, nothing more.
I turned back to my bedroom and my soul was burning, then I heard a stronger tap on the door. I said, "Surely it is in the window, let me look what is there and explore this mystery. It is the wind and nothing more!"
Then I closed the shutter when I jumped and a Raven came in. Not the least gesture he made not a second stopped but with the expression of a lord or lady was resting above my door. The raven was on a statue of Pallas Athena above my door, he sat and nothing more.
Then the bird tricked me into smiling by the stern look on its face. Then I said, "Though your crest is strong, you are an old Raven wandering around the night's shore, tell me what your name is on the Pluto shore!" The Raven said Nevermore.
I wondered if I had actually had heard this bird, though its answer meant nothing we cannot help but to agree that no living human has seen such a bird above their door with such a name as, Nevermore.
But the Raven sitting on the peaceful statue spoke only that word as if it what his soul wanted to say. Nothing more he uttered nor a feather fluttered until I said, "Other friends have been here before, and in the morning he will leave me as my hopes have flown before. Then the bird said Nevermore.
I was scared by this outbreak and so I said, "Doubtless, what it says is only its stock and store caught from some unhappy master who was struck with misfortune until his hope bore, NO MORE.
But the raven still charming all my smiling and I moved a seat in front of the bird and then I thought about what this bird meant when it said, Nevermore.
I sat and guessed but nothing could come up to those fiery eyes which were now deep in me. This and more was I thinking about with my head resting on the seat lining the headlamp and expressing She shall press nevermore!
Then I thought and the air seemed to grow thicker brought by angels whose foot-falls tinkled on the floor. I said, "Darn! your god has lent you, by these angels he has seen you rest and drug me from my memories of Lenore, I will drink to this kind drug and forget my lost Lenore" The Raven said Nevermore.
"This bird is the devil, prophet! Whether the devil tempts me here in my house, in my land, tell me!" The Raven said nevermore.
Prophet! This bird is evil! By heaven that bends above us tell this sorry soul within the distant Eden it shall grab a saint lady whom the angels call Lenore." The Raven said nevermore.
"That is my last word bird! Go back to hell and Pluto Leave nothing and leave me alone! Take my broken heart and go away form the door! The Raven said Nevermore.
And the raven did not move from the statue. His eyes have those of demons and the map throws shadows on the floor. My soul from those shadows on the floor will be lifted nevermore.

POETIC DEVICES:
There are quite a few poetic devices use in the poem, "The Raven". The allusions in this poem are those of the Raven being a person and having human-esque qualities. There is a lot of imagery about spiritual things, like the ember ghosts or heaven and hell. There are not very many metaphors in this poem. A lot of what this poem is is just saying how he was doing this, then he did this, then he did this. He says the word "while" a lot in this poem. Similes are pretty rare as well in this poem. There is a rhyme scheme as a lot of the end words rhyme.

FIGURAL MEANING:
The figural meaning of this poem is that the author is sleeping then something wakes him up so he goes and checks it out and soon enough he finds a raven on top of his door. He starts talking to it and the only word the Raven says is Nevermore. This confuses the author and he drives himself mad trying to figure out what it means. Then He tells it to leave and it does not so he asks the raven when he will meet with his love Lenore in heaven and he realizes it will be nevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment