Friday, August 20, 2010

The Old Man and the Sea - Day One

So I have started my third and final book of the summer. A little late, yes, but that does not matter because this book is very short and I will have probably a grand total of two hours spent reading this book. So a very short time indeed. This book that I have just started is called The Old Man and the Sea. It is written by the great author, Ernest Hemingway. I have already established who the old man is, and the old man is Santiago. Impressive right? But I have finished with Santiago's first day. I have also read about Santiago's past luck. It is either he is not irish, or he just plain old sucks at catching fish, but how can you go eighty four days without catching a fish? I could go to the pond next door and catch a fish within an hour. I also have established Santiago's sexuality. He has to be gay. When I read this book it feels like he has a weird "crush" on his younger fisherman/ helper boy, Manolin. It is creepy. I do feel bad, however, for Santiago because he is basically the loser of all of the fishermen. Everyone makes fun of him because he sucks at fishing. At least he has one friend, who also appears to be gay. Manolin was all up in Santiago's grill telling Santiago there is nobody like him. It is kind of gross. They both like baseball, though so that is pretty cool. I actually know what they are talking about when they say the "great DiMaggio." He was really good at baseball. The dream that Santiago has is a very interesting one. I wish I always dreamed his re-occuring dream of little lions playing on a beach, but instead I get these really weird dreams. I also wish I got to go to Africa like he did when he was younger. You know, maybe I would meet some of my family while I am there.

No comments:

Post a Comment