Friday, August 20, 2010

The Old Man and the Sea - Day Two

I am reading this pretty boring book. This is not way to end my summer reading. I was hoping my last book would be exciting, but no, all of the books that I have read this summer have sucked. But no, why would Ernest Hemingway want to ruin such a good streak that John Steinbeck and Ray Bradbury had already started? The Old Man and the Sea is very boring. I am to the part of which I believe is about halfway through the second day of Santiago's adventure. He just caught the ten pound tuna fish. To me, that is a pretty big fish. I do not know how he plans to catch a fish so big that it will eat the ten pound tune. That will be one mighty big fish, and I do not think Santiago, an old man, will be able to reel in the fish by himself. If he can, then he will have my respect. I still think Santiago is gay. Before he left he creepily went to Manolin's house early in the morning and they have a nice walk with Santiago's gear. Who knows what Ernest Hemingway actually meant by Santiago's gear. It could be a multitude of things. Maybe it is a fishing pole, a bait box, food, or beer. Maybe it is something crazy that none of us have ever heard of before. Or you could use your imagination and think of something else. I would also like to comment on Santiago's expert rowing abilities. He must have been on Harvard's rowing team or something, because not too many people can make their fishing lines not drift with the current. What a beast. And Santiago is such a lonely man, I mean he thinks the flying fish are his friends and he talks to himself. He is comparable to the crazy cat lady form the Simpsons cartoon show. I feel very bad for him. Especially since he does not have too much life left, and his wife is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment